Please confirm your age.

I am 18 years of age or older and live in a US state or foreign country where medical or recreational marijuana is legal. I waive all claims which might arise from my use of this website and release any person or entity connected with this website of any liability.

It’s finally here! Utah is opening the registration process for Utah medical marijuana card patients on Sunday, March 1st. Here is everything you need to know.

Online Application Process March 1st

First, patients must have a recommendation letter from a qualified medical provider in Utah. These are PAs, NPs, and physicians who are registered with the Department of Health.


Once a patient has this recommendation, starting on Sunday, March 1st, at 9:00 am, patients may go online to the Department of Health Website and register through the EVS (Electronic Verification System).

That process includes registering for an account and filling out personal information on the patient and their health condition. There will also be information for guardians who will need to register for patients under 21, or unable to care for themselves. These patients will also need a companion or guardian card.

Patients will pay $15 to the Utah Department of Health for the card to be processed.

Medical Provider Finishes the Application Online

A Qualified Medical Provider (QMP) will then go online and complete the recommendation and certification for the medical marijuana card to be approved. During this phase of the process, QMPs may recommend dosing guidelines in the patient’s chart in order to allow patients to purchase a 30-day supply of medical marijuana for their condition.

If the medical provider does not list dosing guidelines for the patient’s condition, the patient will need to meet with a pharmacist or state-employed physician to again review the medical records and condition and receive dosing guidelines.

Patients with UtahMarijuana.Clinic, or Tim Pickett, PA-C will have dosing guidelines listed in the state EVS system and will be able to bypass meeting separately with a pharmacist.

Get Your Medical Marijuana Card by Email

Patients will receive the card in digital form, by email. It may take up to 15 days to review and issue a Utah Medical Marijuana Card after receiving the completed application. For patients without an email address, they will need to contact the Utah DOH directly for instructions, the card will be mailed.

Patients who are under 21 or unable to care for themselves, who require guardian cards or Utah Compassionate Use Board approval will get their cards within 90 days (3 months), depending on the Compassionate Use Board. Please speak with your medical provider about this process.

Bring Card and ID to the Pharmacy

Bring the card photo on a phone, or a printed version, and a valid ID with you to the Utah medical marijuana pharmacy (dispensary) on or after March 2nd to purchase medical marijuana in Utah. There will be two dispensaries open in March, and 6 more by June 2020. The rest of the 14 dispensaries won’t open until late 2020, as the patient population grows. Find a list of Utah dispensaries and their locations here.


  1. Find a Qualified Medical Provider to issue a recommendation for the qualifying condition
  2. After meeting with a QMP, go online to the Utah Department of Health Medical Marijuana page and register for an account. Pay $15 for the application and card.
  3. The QMP will then complete the application and may or may not issue dosing guidelines.
  4. If you have dosing guidelines, such as those from Tim Pickett, or UtahMarijuana.Clinic, you may take your card photo along with a valid Utah ID to the dispensary (pharmacy) and purchase up to 30 days of medical marijuana in Utah.
  5. If you do not have dosing guidelines, meet with a pharmacist at the dispensary, go through your medical record, and have them recommend dosing and products to purchase.

10 responses to “4 Steps to Register for a Utah Medical Marijuana Card”

  1. I have successfully registered through the Utah Sate EVS.
    I have seen a Doctor, MD, and I have a letter of recommendation from my Doctor.
    My Doctor is NOT in the “QMP” List. I could not, therefore, designate a QMP.

    The online document reports ” Status :: Awaiting Certification ”
    NOW WHAT ???

    This system is sorely lacking, TO PUT IT MILDLY.

    • Hey there. In order to get your card, what you have found is absolutely correct: this is not possible without a provider qualified to prescribe medical marijuana. If the provider you have seen has not yet been qualified, we would be happy to take you on as a patient and get you certified on that site. Give us a call at 801-851-5554 or schedule online at

  2. I have filled out everything, and it says awaiting certificate and it won’t let me pay
    . so now what do I do? Help

    • Betty, go ahead and give us a call on Monday morning and we can help you get through the next steps. You’re stuck at a very common spot.

  3. Hello,

    I have been in the “Awaiting Certification” stage for about 5 days now. I have checked the “Patient Certification” tab, and my QMP still doesn’t have a certification number. Does this mean he hasn’t put the recommendation in yet?

      • Reach out to your QMP! This means that they have not certified you or added in a recommendation, which needs to be done before you can move forward.

    • Yes, Mallory, this is exactly what this means. I would reach out to your QMP and see what the hold up us! Once they certify you and add the recommendation, you’ll be good to go.

      • Thank you!

        I do have another question. Can we laminate our cards? Or can we just show the dispensary on our phones?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Contact Us For More Information

Call us at:

(801) 851-5554

or fill in the fields below and we’ll contact you.